Monday, July 11, 2005

Daring Dragonfly 5

Her eyes were swollen and his heart went out to her. Her she was, at her best friend’s wedding, and yet she couldn’t help but cry. She tried to hide in the corner, but he found her anyway. He had seen her earlier, when the bridal party was having their pictures taken. Even then, amid all the smiles, she seemed sad. The smile hadn’t quite reached her eyes. And so, he slowly approached her.

“Excuse me, Megan?”

She looked up. “Yes?”

“Hi, my name’s Ted. I noticed you earlier.” God, that sounded so lame. “Why are you crying?”

She sniffed a bit and used a napkin to wipe her eyes and nose. “It’s just….I mean, I’m happy for Julia, and all, but…..” She trailed off.

“But you wish it was you.” It was half a question, half a statement. She just nodded in response. “That’s okay, Megan. It’s natural. I’ve been to tons of weddings and all the single girls feel that way to some extent. Ever heard the expression ‘Always the bridesmaid….’?”

She smiled a bit. “Yeah. It’s just so tough. Julia, me and the other girls are all best friends. Have been for ages. And now, I’m the only one left without a husband. Do you know what it’s like to see everyone get married, but never be up there yourself?”

He chuckled a bit, holding up his left hand. “You see a ring on this finger? And if you think you’ve been to a lot of weddings….” He let his voice trail off.

Megan blushed. “Oh that’s right….you’re a wedding photographer. I forgot.” She giggled a bit.

He grinned. “Yeah. So don’t you tell me about watching other people get married. I do it for a living.” He offered her his hand. “Now come out of that corner. You’re needed on the dance floor.”

Megan hurried out with the other girls to gather at one end of the dance floor. Julia, the bride, was making her way to the opposite end, the bouquet held tightly. She turned around as the DJ counted. “One…..two….three!” The bouquet went flying through the air, and so did Megan. They came down together, and Megan’s eyes shone with a light that had been missing earlier. Ted smiled and dazzled her with the flash from his camera. As he walked by her, on his way to shoot pictures of the groom removing Julia’s garter he whispered “Well, I guess you’re not always the bridesmaid….”

1 Comments:

Blogger Marie Ann said...

I really liked this. Very sweet and succint.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home