Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Giddy Giraffee #3

My dearest wife,

Do not cry for me. Know that I am doing what is right. Serving my country has been the greatest feat of my lifetime. By accepting my upcoming mission I know I will die, but it is to rescue my country. There is no greater honor.

Raise our child with a proud heart. He will not cry for losing a father. He will not be jealous of other children. He will know of my sacrifice. He will hear of the great legacy, the men who were brave enough to die.

As I prepare myself for battle I am given strength for I know the destiny of our country will be great. I leave you to protect the homeland and I die with the admiration of my fellow officers. I am not afraid to die, I am a patriot. I fly with your picture tucked to my chest so my spirit will know where it needs to go.

Think well of me and know I am gone for our country. Feel the honor that comes with my sacrifice.

In the name of family, in the name of country, in the glorious name of the Emperor

Gokigen-yo!
First Lieutenant Masanobu Kuno



Kuno was a patriot. He served his country with pride within the Kamikaze Special Attack Force, Unit Yamazakura. He successfully completed his one way mission on October 24 1944. His target was the USS St. Lo (CVE-63).


Sometimes we forget that being patriotic doesn’t always mean we are right, and being a patriot doesn’t mean we fought on the winning side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home