Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Daunting Dolphin #3

West of Asadabad

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,

Please say you can see me, please.

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

I know that I probably shouldn’t be using the remains of a flag to signal,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,

But not much is left after a Black Hawk goes down.

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

At least the flag is still with me; I have a hope now.

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

I’m surprised it survived, really, after that crash. I'm surprised I survived.

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

In the early morning sun, the flag will be visible to a rescue party.

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave

The wind will snap the flag to attention, and they will see me.

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

They have to see me. They won’t leave a soldier behind.

Please don’t leave me behind.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, this really got me emotionally. a really moving concept.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home