Friday, July 01, 2005

Daring Dragonfly #3

What does it take to be a patriot? It takes love of country, but not blind adherence to a slogan or mantra. Being a patriot often demands sacrifice. You don’t necessarily need to sacrifice yourself on a battlefield, but you should respect those who risk the ultimate sacrifice, even if you don’t agree with the war they are fighting.

During Vietnam, it was all too common to curse the soldiers coming home for their role in a war no one wanted to be a part of. While things aren’t quite as bad today, oftentimes people forget to oppose the war, and instead oppose those fighting it. I, for one, do not agree with the decision to invade Iraq. I think there were other priorities in the war on terror that should have been pursued first. I think there were plenty of justifications for invading Iraq, but I don’t think the administration used any of them.

While I may not agree with the war, I support the troops who fight it. I do not blame all of them for the actions of a few bad eggs. Yes, bad things happened at Guantanamo Bay and Abu Gharib. But the excesses of the few do not justify a condemnation of the many. The military has taken steps to punish those who were responsible for these depredations and while we may continue to question the policies that led to these mistakes, we should not assign blame to all those who wear the same uniform.

I do not blame the brave men and women in uniform who daily risk their lives thousands of miles from home. They are attempting to bring just a fraction of the rights that I enjoy every day to people who have long been under the boot heel of a tyrant. It’s extremely dangerous, and largely thankless. What does it take to be a patriot? I believe a sincere “Thank you” may be enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home