Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Arty Ant #1

I have often believed that everyone one has a root within their soul that is the core of their desires. This root can be created through life struggles, epiphanies, or even a good book. My root was always to be accepted and treated equal. Acceptance and equality, the kind of blend even more perfect than Chirac & Schroeder, Bush & Blair, or even Manmohan Singh & Sonia Gandhi. You probably sense sarcasm in the last sentence and if so you would be correct. Unlike most desires, i know mine is a life long journey that may never be accomplished, and it all started with one trilogy.

It was third grade when i begin to embark upon the imaginative world that would change my life forever. At that point in my life, i had already read several books and was accustomed to hiding in my room for days at a time, scrolling through each new world that the authors would reveal to me. In this case, the book was not singular but actually a trilogy entitled "The Tripods" by John Christopher. The story was unusual for me because it was science fiction, which is something I rarely read. I had always been more a fan of fantasy or suspense, but Science fiction...well, this was uncharted territories for my imagination. The book came to me at a very important time in my life. Since kindergarten i had been ridiculed for my height. My mom, to this day, believes most of my lack of self-esteem was rooted in the fact i was teased from the moment i stepped on a playground. Imagine being only in kindergarten, knowing nothing of life, and being teased and mocked for something you could not control, did i mention it was a private Christian school? After years of transferring schools to no avail, i chose to immerse my life into readings. Books could not hurt me and books would never mock me, they were accepting.

The prequel to the trilogy entitled "When the Tripods Came" was about tripods coming to Earth and brainwashing people. The plot was not what changed my life, it was, as it always is, the characters. The main character along with two other boys set on a journey for freedom, for all. This was the first thing the book resonated in me, the idea of equality and everyone being free...to be themselves. The side character Beanpole had the greatest impact on my life. He was a tall skinny pimple faced NERD. To me, he represented all of the outcasts in society. He was the embodiment of a loser. Yet, the other two boys accepted him and looked at his heart, not his external features. I used to fantasize about what my life would be like if all my friends could do the same.

To this day, I can't help but shed a tear of joy remembering how happy i was when later in the series the NERD would get the girl, and help save everyone from the alien invasion.

It was that first book and the nerd that created a core of desire to be accepted and live in a society where everyone was equal. No matter what happened in my life, whether it was suicidal attempts to drug addicted parents to average old rejection from the opposite sex, i knew that no matter how much i wished to cut the core of desires out from within me it would never happen.

Books like "The Tripod" would never allow it, and neither would Beanpole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home