Sunday, June 26, 2005

Precious Panda #1

Johnny B. Goode

My biggest fear is that I’ll make the same mistakes my father did. His first marriage ended because of his alcoholism and adultery. It’s sad when someone knows their vices and can’t do anything about them…or won’t even try. Something only becomes a mistake if you refuse to correct it, right?

Around the time when my dad started drinking again, I saw “Back to the Future” for the first time. Even then, the concept of ripping-off Libyan terrorists (sooooo 1980’s...Osama is the new Khadafi) for some philanthropic scientific end was appealing to me. I also liked Einstein, Dr. Brown’s dog, who was fed by a mechanical, alarm-triggered can-opener, probably because my mom was the “take your shoes off before you come inside the house” sort of mother and a big slobbering mutt was a fun idea to entertain.

Most of all, though, I wanted to go back in time, and this movie fed my imagination to no end. I envisioned traveling back in time and preventing every bad thing that ever happened to me from occurring. I would stop myself from knocking over the Christmas tree when I was eight, stop my sister from accidentally drowning my turtle when I was seven, and stop my dad from cheating on my mom—or at least convince him to do a better job of hiding it. 99.1 gigawatts, 88 miles-per-hour, the flux-capacitor…

I want to drink, but I’m not going to. I want to cheat on my significant other, but I won’t. I’m going to be a little more Marty McFly and a lot less Biff Tannon.

And I didn’t even need a time machine to figure that out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home